Thursday, November 10, 2011

Country Living

When I first made my feeble attempt at blogging way back at the very beginning of the year, I mentioned that one of the 'topics' my (two) readers could expect to see a lot of was inspiration relating to life in the country--architecture, design, maybe a little landscape design, maybe a little cooking.... all of which was intended as a way to stockpile thoughts for my future--wayyy future--life in a beautiful old farmhouse outside of New York City.

My original dream home, designed by Gil Schafer
Back then, everything was just wishful thinking. I hoped fervently that I would soon have a ring on my finger promising a life to be spent with the person I've loved most since I was just a teenager, I wished for a beautiful wedding surrounded by friends, I dreamed of owning a big slobbery cuddly newfoundland, and way down the line, I fantasized about owning a gorgeous historic house replete with fireplaces, original detail, and lots of land for future pups and maybe event tots to roam.

Fastforward just ten months, and there's a tan-line on my left ring finger, our name on a newfie breeder's 'future homes' list, a constant barrage of emails from vendors asking for 'final' meetings before the big January day, and the latest: a contract waiting to be marked up in preparation for tomorrow's meeting with a real estate attorney.

That country house fantasy may still be just that--only time, and the mood of a paper pushing banker in upstate New York--will tell. But after visiting at least ten houses in the Hudson Valley, staying up late on work nights sharing hundreds of online listings with each other, and going through a lengthy inspection process J and I are now just a few small steps away from making my pastoral dream a reality.

My 'this dream may be a reality' house! (via Weichert)
So, from here on out, I will be making a valiant (and hopefully more successful!) effort to aggregate and store all my "country living" inspiration right here. And, if I really get into the swing of things, maybe I will make my original optimistic plan for this blog as real as Apple Ridge Farm (our--fingers crossed!--adorably named farmhouse) and incorporate restaurant reviews, recipes, fashion, interior design and other delicious treats I'd like to save for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment